The Splendor in Lemongrass
This September, come and indulge in all things lemongrass at Hilton hotels in Malaysia
KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA – Media OutReach – 4 September 2018 – Lemongrass is a wonderful and aromatic herb used in many Asian cuisines. Most people use it whole: simply by slicing off the bottom of the stalk, peeling off any dried-out layers, then bashing the woody top end with a rolling pin to soften and release some of the aromatic oils. This amazing ingredient makes its debut as the hero ingredient for the month of September across all Hilton hotels in Malaysia.
This Lemongrass feature is a part of #EatDrinkHilton, Hilton’s first nationwide dining promotion in Malaysia, which underpins our commitment to delivering exceptional experiences to our guests by serving some of the most amazing cuisine in the country using locally sourced produce. From Kuala Lumpur to Penang and Melaka to East Malaysia, each region has its own special style of cooking, reflecting the rich and colorful Malaysian culture.
This September, we welcome guests to appreciate the country’s culinary heritage through our chefs’ creations that are inspired by traditional cooking and flavors.
* Chefs from all hotels operating under Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotels & Resorts and Hilton Garden Inn brands have developed a variety of signature creations using the chosen produce, lemongrass.
Do not forget to visit all the participating hotels under the Hilton brand in Malaysia from Hilton Kuala Lumpur, Hilton Petaling Jaya, Hilton Kuching, Hilton Kota Kinabalu, DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, DoubleTree by Hilton Johor Bahru, DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka, DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Penang, and Hilton Garden Inn Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman North.
Experience the aroma of Lemongrass
Hilton spares no expense in ensuring you experience the wonders of lemongrass with all five senses.
- Touch – Regarded as the elementary sense, guests can experience lemongrass with their tongue, teeth, palate and fingertips. As consumers place greater emphasis on the food they eat, food texturisation is seen as an area of opportunity for us to develop new, innovative textures in the food we serve. It is also testament to how our chefs use their creativity by incorporating the element of touch in their lemongrass creations.
- Sight — It is said that one eats with one’s eyes. Sight is the most evolved of our senses and perhaps the most delightful. It is sight that allows you to see color, which influences our idea of flavors. Our chefs choose the freshest of lemongrass stalks that are firm, pale-green and bulbous at the base, bringing out the delicacy of each dish whether used in teas, soups and curries or in meat, chicken and seafood dishes.
- Smell — Smell acts in tandem with taste to identify food flavors and helps us to appreciate the alluring flavors of food and drink. The smell of lemongrass known to be relaxing, soothing and balancing has a light and fresh lemony smell with earthy undertones. This September the lemongrass fragrance will waft throughout all Hilton hotels in Malaysia as a distinctive marker. Our sense of smell also has an immense bearing on our cravings.
- Hearing — A relationship between the sense of hearing and lemongrass may sound far-fetched. However, think of the sounds you associate with when you take a cup of tea infused with lemongrass. The sound of the bruising of lemongrass to release the essential oils while the stick falls into the pot; the whistling of the kettle indicating the tea is ready; the sound of tea being poured and of taking a sip of the delicious drink indicating domestic harmony that lulls you in to a serene isle of tranquility.
- Taste — This is the most appealing sense of all. Taste comes mostly from smell, and what we call flavor is usually a combination of taste, smell, temperature and texture of food. Did you know that lemongrass has a flavor profile of its own? While it is citrusy with a lemon-flavor, it tastes almost like a mix of lemon and lemon mint, which is light and does not overpower other flavors in a dish. It adds a slightly sharp and tangy taste without the bitterness of a lemon. Our chefs use lemongrass in traditional and modern dishes as it has an elegantly subtle citrus flavor that complements these foods.
Lemongrass everywhere at Hilton hotels in Malaysia
Read on to find out how lemongrass takes center stage in all the Hilton hotels in Malaysia in September.
When you visit Hilton Kuala Lumpur Malaysia’s upper upscale 5-star hotel, dine at Vasco’s the all-day dining restaurant and order the Grilled Chicken Lemongrass Skewers and Sing Sang Patinfish Lemongrass Soup to get your fill on all things lemongrass. Additionally, the chef’s at Vasco use all Malaysian ingredients fresh from the local farmers market.
Hilton Petaling Jaya, the iconic hotel in the state of Selangor, will have seasonal produce highlighted in all its dining outlets. Diners are spoilt for choice with an option of dining at Genji; Hilton Petaling Jaya’s notable Japanese restaurant where they can order the Teriyaki Chicken Lemongrass Skewer. Alternatively, they could dine at Paya Serai, the all-day dining outlet and order the ever-famous Thai Tom Yum Goong: a must for lovers of spicy food. Did you know that serai translated to English is lemongrass? Make Paya Serai the ideal location for hosting your social events this September.
Centrally located along Jalan Ampang at the Jalan Tun Razak crossing, DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur will be ready to serve a variety of lemongrass-inspired dishes. Makan Kitchen filled with cuisines of diverse cultures within Malaysia will be serving Lemongrass Ice Cream and Lemongrass Swiss Rolls as part of its dessert corner. Having a meeting or just a quick bite to eat? Order the Lemongrass Coconut Tart, Ice Honey Lemon Serai or Green Tea with Lemongrass at Food Store.
Staying at Hilton Garden Inn Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman North located in Chow Kit known as the historical commercial district in Kuala Lumpur? Head on over to Garden Grille for a Lemongrass Mint Lime Spritzer after a day of walking around where you have visited some of the local sites and monuments, or have the Grilled Salmon with Lemongrass Sauce for lunch or dinner.
DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Penang, the country’s first DoubleTree Resort invites you to their very own Makan Kitchen where you can find spicy Thai style Tom Yum using all Malaysian sourced ingredients from lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaf and even fresh water prawns. Want to quench that thirst after all that spice? Try the Lychee and Lemongrass Smash or the Lemon Peaches. You will not be disappointed.
Staying at DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka with stunning views of the Straits of Melaka? Those who are looking for a little kick in their drinks while watching the sunset should try the Lemongrass Cucumber Cocktail made with gin, cucumber, and lemongrass and sugar syrup. After having your drink head on over to Makan Kitchen and order some of the Combo Set Lunches:
- Lemongrass Black Squid “Cili Padi” — a spicy sautéed squid dish with blended lemongrass and spices, squid ink and bird eye chili
- Lemongrass Giant Squid Fried Rice — with chicken, shrimp, and shredded lemongrass crisps with juicy crispy battered squid
- Aromatic Lemongrass Portuguese Baked Fish — a baked sustainable fish (sourced locally) fillet with lemongrass paste, turmeric, chilies and lime infused
DoubleTree by Hilton Johor Bahru, located in the most Southern part of Malaysia, offers diners a variety of different items from the menu. At Tosca, one should have the Salmon Tortelli in Lemongrass Soy Butter Cream Sauce or Baked Lemongrass Chicken with Poached Pear and Walnut Salad. At Makan Kitchen, be sure to try the Thai Prawn Lemongrass Salad, Ayam Masak Serai ala Ungkep, Stir Fried Prawn with Basil, Chili & Lemon Grass, an Indian dish called Masala Tawa Machi; Lemongrass marinated fried fish. Do not miss the Passion Fruit Lemongrass Éclair from Food Store.
Staying at Hilton Kota Kinabalu? The team believes in a good start to the day, which is why a rushed breakfast is unheard of. You can enjoy a buffet breakfast of wholesome, good quality food, which will give you a nutritious boost, to enjoy your day outdoors with the right amount of energy. Accompany your cup of tea or coffee with the Lemongrass and Pandan Leaf infused Water using lemongrass and leaves from Kundasang, foothills of mount Kinabalu.
Deciding on something to indulge during teatime then head on over to Zest Café and order the White Chocolate Lemongrass Ganache on Lime Infused Fudge Cake the ingredients used are sourced locally. Dark and white chocolate from Tawau, coffee beans from Tenom, East coast of Sabah and the hero ingredient the lemongrass and lime from Kundasang.
Hilton Kuching, the Central Kuching hotel on the beautiful waterfront, will be serving the Lemongrass Brulee: a dish best eaten chilled made of Vanilla Ice Cream, caramelized with organic palm sugar. Dine at Toh Yuen the Oriental oasis known for an eclectic mix of Sarawak-inspired Cantonese flavors, order the Lemongrass and Hoisin Baked Chicken using all locally made or produced ingredients. For steak aficionados, the award-wining Steakhouse will be preparing the Pan Fried Seabass Fillet with Lemongrass Cream Sauce.
When you order our one-month only special, be sure to take a photo and upload it to your Facebook and Instagram. Tag us in your photos and hashtag #EatDrinkHilton and #Lemongrass. Look out for what is coming up in the month of October: it is all about Tamarind. Stay tuned!
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company, with a portfolio of 14 world-class brands comprising more than 5,400 properties with nearly 880,000 rooms, in 106 countries and territories. Hilton is dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company by delivering exceptional experiences — every hotel, every guest, every time. The company’s portfolio includes Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Curio Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages an award-winning customer loyalty program, Hilton Honors. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose exactly how many Points to combine with money, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else, and free standard Wi-Fi. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.