LONDON, UK – Media OutReach – 5 December 2018 – Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ (SLH) has announced Canaves Oia Suites in Santorini, Greece, as Hotel of the Year at the SLH Awards 2018. A blissful blend of island tradition and architectural inspiration, the hotel has been described as ‘very nearly perfect’ and is one of seventeen hotels in SLH’s 500+ strong portfolio of independently minded hotels that were honoured with top distinctions this year. The awards highlight excellence in everything from dreamy designs and breathtaking suites, embracing social media, the environment and the local community.
Three new accolades were introduced to the SLH Awards 2018 including Dreamiest Design Hotel which was won by Liostasi Hotel & Suites in Greece, Most Independently Minded Experience which was awarded to Orania.Berlin and Best Family-Friendly Hotel which was discerned to Gaya Island Resort in Malaysia.
Many of the categories were voted for exclusively by members of SLH’s loyalty programme, INVITED, and luxury travel agents. These included The Sukhothai Shanghai (City Hotel of the Year), Blanket Bay in New Zealand (Country House Hotel of the Year) and Canaves Oia Suites (Resort Hotel of the Year), which was then put forward for the ultimate recognition by SLH’s panel of experts — Hotel of the Year.
Meanwhile, Cap Rocat in Mallorca, The Tokyo Station Hotel in Japan and Porto Zante Villas & Spa in Greece were all deemed by SLH guests and agents to have the best spa, restaurant and suites respectively, and Casa Angelina Lifestyle on the Amalfi Coast was voted Most Romantic Retreat.
Member hotels were also invited to submit entries to applaud their own innovation and high levels of service, judged by SLH’s panel of experts:
- Ka’ana Resort in Belize received the Caring Luxury Award based on its outstanding green credentials, its use of local amenities and its contribution to the local community through the creation of scholarship funds, bathroom rehabilitation projects and an environmental program
- Alvaro Herrera Gomez, Front Office Manager at Hacidenda Zorita Wine Hotel & Spa in Spain was awarded the Hotel Hero Award, for demonstrating bravery and dedication to guests during difficult times
- Olive Boutique Hotel in Puerto Rico received the Most Instagrammable award based on its beautiful Instagram (@theoliveexperience) shots featuring accentuating blue hues and neutral colours that perfectly communicate the luxury feel of the hotel
- Canaves Oia Hotel in Greece was awarded Best Hotel Video for “Canaves Oia –Where Time Stops” showcasing a unique cinematic style and engaging narrative that depicts the hotel as a timeless holiday retreat.
SLH’s Mystery Inspectors also had their say based on their experiences whilst staying at each and every one of SLH hotels over the last twelve months, with Hotel Villa Carlotta in Sicily coming out top based on a combination of guest reviews, inspection scores and overall quality rating.
The annual award to recognize a significant newcomer to the SLH family this year was designated to Domaine Misincu in Corsica. Since opening in July 2017, the hotel has received an unprecedented level of interest, press coverage and reservations.
Jean-Francois Ferret, CEO of Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ said: “As curators of the most individual, intimate and intense hotel experiences around the world, we are delighted to celebrate these exceptional hotels that showcase our independently minded ethos in such distinct, diverse and delightful ways.”
The full list of winners and shortlisted finalists is as follows:
- Hotel of the Year — Canaves Oia Suites (Greece)
- City Hotel of the Year — The Sukhothai Shanghai (China)
Shortlisted Finalists — Le Narcisse Blanc Hôtel & Spa (France); Nimb Hotel (Denmark)
- Resort Hotel of the Year — Canaves Oia Suites (Greece)
Shortlisted Finalists — Stein Eriksen Residences (USA); ABBA Resorts Izu (Japan)
- Country House Hotel of the Year — Blanket Bay (New Zealand)
Shortlisted Finalists — Les Sources de Caudalie (France); The Fish (UK)
- Best Newcomer Hotel Award — Domaine Misincu (France)
Shortlisted Finalists — Cape Fahn (Thailand); The Trident Hotel (Jamaica)
- Mystery Inspectors’ Excellence Award — Hotel Villa Carlotta (Italy)
Shortlisted Finalists — Sublime Samana Hotel & Residences (Dominican Republic); Hotel Villa Ducale (Italy)
- Dreamiest Design Award — Liostasi Hotel & Suites (Greece)
Shortlisted Finalists — Hotel Lilla Roberts (Finland); TwentySeven Hotel (Netherlands)
- Hotel Hero Award — Alvaro Herrera Gomez, Hacienda Zorita Wine Hotel & Spa (Spain)
Shortlisted Finalists — Marc Dobbels, Le Barthélemy Hotel & Spa (St Barthélemy)
- Caring Luxury Award — Ka’ana Resort (Belize)
Shortlisted Finalists — DasPosthotel (Austria); Akyra Sukhumvit Bangkok (Thailand)
- Best Gourmet Experience Award — The Tokyo Station Hotel (Japan)
Shortlisted Finalists — Pädaste Manor (Estonia); The Dylan Amsterdam (Netherlands)
- Best Hotel Video — Canaves Oia Hotel (Greece)
Shortlisted Finalists — Keemala (Thailand); Carpe Diem Santorini (Greece)
- Most Instagrammable — Olive Boutique Hotel (Puerto Rico)
Shortlisted Finalists — Canaves Oia Hotel (Greece); Keemala (Thailand)
- Most A-List Suite Experience — Porto Zante Villas & Spa (Greece)
Shortlisted Finalists — 137 Pillars Suites Bangkok (Thailand); Villa Spalletti Trivelli (Italy)
- Most Sensational Spa — Cap Rocat (Spain)
Shortlisted Finalists — Lefay Resort & Spa Lago di Garda (Italy); Esperanza Resort & Spa (Lithuania)
- Most Independently Minded Experience — Orania.Berlin (Germany)
Shortlisted Finalist — Minos Beach Art Hotel (Greece)
- Most Romantic Retreat — Casa Angelina Lifestyle (Italy)
Shortlisted Finalists — Le Narcisse Blanc Hôtel & Spa (France); Baros Maldives (Maldives)
- Most Family-Friendly Hotel — Gaya Island Resort (Malaysia)
Shortlisted Finalist — Nobu Hotel Ibiza Bay (Spain)
For more information or to make a booking visit www.slh.com.
Click here for images of the winning hotels.
About Small Luxury Hotels of the World: Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ (SLH) matches independently minded guests with independently spirited hotels. The diverse collection of over 500 hotels in more than 80 countries around the world includes everything from cutting edge design hotels and city centre sanctuaries to historic country mansions and remote private islands — all SLH hotels are consistently different, however, they are all united by the fact that they offer the best locations, highest quality, personalised service and a truly authentic way to discover a destination. Reservations for any SLH hotel can be made online via www.slh.com, SLH’s mobile app, contacting a travel agent or calling our reservations office.